How to attract people to you. Attraction Marketing – The Missing Piece of Your Marketing Puzzle.
When it comes to books about networking, building relationships and working with people, the undisputed classic is “How To Win Friends and Influence People” by Dale Carnegie
One of the great realizations in the book is that although some people are more extroverted or affable, working with people and attracting them to you is a learned skill that anyone can master.
Here are 6 tips on how you can attract people to you:
#1 Be Genuinely Interested In Other People.
- Studies show that the most frequently said word is “I”.
- People love to talk about themselves, their lives, their hobbies, their families, their passions,etc.
- When you interact with people, ask questions to better attract people to you and allow them to talk, they will love you for it.
- A smile is a simple gesture that doesn’t cost money, time, or energy but it can brighten someone’s day; it changes the way you feel and makes you more approachable and attractive to other people.
- Smiling is attractive and contagious.
- People around you can’t help but smile when they see a big smile on your face.
#3 Remembering and Using People’s Name
- They say that the sweetest and most important sound in language is the sound of your own name.
- In Jack Welch’s book “Winning”, when asked which restaurant was his favorite, he replied: “The one where they know my name.”
- We’ve all been there: when you recognize someone but can’t remember their name. It’s awkward, uncomfortable and embarrassing. We often use the excuse that “I am not good with names,” but if you want to master people, you need to begin to remember names and you will attract people to you much easier.
- Develop a system.
- When you meet someone use their name three times in conversation or write their name down in a notebook with some details about them.
- Figure out a system that works for you.
#4 Be A Good Listener
- We were given one mouth and two ears for a reason.
- We need to encourage others to talk and then we need to listen to understand what they are saying.
- Listening is much more than being silent.
- It is an active process.
- It involves empathy – the ability to walk in someone’s shoes and understand them without judging or fixing.
- Listening is a skill that is developed with practice.
- As you master it, people will like you more and more and you will attract people to you effortlessly.
#5 Talk To People In Terms of Their Interests
- People love it when you can relate to their interests.
- Being knowledgeable on subjects they enjoy and capable of engaging in intelligent conversation about what matters most to them says volumes about your interest in who they are.
- That doesn’t mean that you have to be an expert in every category, but being able to talk to people in terms of their interests goes a long way.
- One way to do this is to study topics of interest before meeting with people.
- If you know that your business lunch is with a huge baseball fan, then take some time to brush up on your knowledge of the game.
- This small point may make the biggest difference in how the lunch turns out.
- Talking in terms of other people’s interests is another way to put them first and leave a great impression and will make it easier to attract people to you.
If you have paid attention to the first five ways to make people like you, you are probably noticing a trend. Each of the points is focused on the other person.
#6 Make People Feel Important
- Making people feel important can be done in a myriad of ways.
- You can give a compliment, remember their birthday or a special occasion, recognize them for their skills and contribution, or give them a gift.
- The key is to make sure you do it sincerely.
- This is not about giving to get, it is about giving because you care and that will attract people to you.
People read through individuals who are fake and only in it for themselves.
If you are going to compliment someone, make it sincere. Look at the good in people and point that out.
Attracting people to you will be effortless.
Leave every person better for having met you.
To Your Success!