So you don’t know what to write on your blog, eh? What a common problem and fixable too!
Most likely you’re new to blogging, yes? But you know what? Many seasoned bloggers have had this challenge as well. So you’re not alone. Now take a deep breath and let’s discuss.
I’ve experienced this as well and I have a personal opinion about “writer’s block” for new bloggers. Anytime anyone learns something new, no matter what it is there is anxiety as well as insecurity about “doing it right”.
When it comes to blogging there is no right way. The ONLY right way is your way. Blogging is a never ending experience that requires flexibility, on-going learning curves, and keeping up with technology and a dose of confidence.
[tweet_box design=”default” float=”none”]Confidence is earned. The only way you earn confidence is by doing. We all learn by doing – it’s the best teacher.[/tweet_box]
Of course it will be overwhelming at first setting up your blog, but it will get better because you’ll learn as you go along.
First the basics:
Please OWN your own blog – avoid using the free blogging platforms. Why? When you own your own blog you can put anything on it, plugins, advertising, sell products, etc. It’s YOURS! Yes, you pay for hosting, but it doesn’t cost much and the benefits are many. When you use a “Free” blogging platform, it’s owned by a company. If that company goes out of business there goes your blog! Also, they are limited as to what you can promote on it and it’s visual design.
I’m sure you’ve heard this before – make your blog about something you KNOW and/or are interested in. This is the first step in discovering what to write about. Remember, you’ll learn by DOING.
- Research the topic you’re interested in. All you need is Google which pulls in related articles/websites from the World Wide Web. You might search on other search engines too – sometimes you’ll find different information.
- Find other blogs similar to yours to get IDEAS – NOT to copy! What are they writing about, how are they writing about it. Get ideas from blog layouts.
- Remember this mindset – write for others, not yourself.
- Branding – create a domain name with “yourname.com”. YOU are the brand. Get people to identify with YOU, your name – the person, not the product. People buy from those they know like and trust.
The Rest Has to Do with YOU, Ready?
Okay so you’re looking around, getting blogging ideas . Now the biggest challenge creeps in and it’s this: You start COMPARING your own abilities, what you want to say, present, teach to others with the other blogs you see. This is an inspirational, motivational KILLER.
Once you start comparing yourself to other bloggers who may be more seasoned than you, you’ll shy away and begin thinking “I’m not good enough”.
You are good enough (you may be even better – you’ll never know unless you DO it)!
You’re good enough because:
- There’s no one else on the planet like you – you are ORIGINAL and UNIQUE
- You have your own opinions
- you know what you like/dislike
- You’re not a dummy – you can learn new things
- You have things to share with others – stick with what you know
- Blogging is a form of self-discovery- meaning, you’ll learn new skills while building confidence
So. The MORE you write, learn, and share, the more CONFIDENT you’ll feel. Your blogging/writing abilities will improve, get stronger, and the less you’ll feel like you’re on a bicycle with training wheels. Right? Before you know it, you’ll be a master at writing blog posts.
Let me know what you think?