Editors Note: We welcome Guest Blogger Izuzu Nworgu
It is almost impossible to remain positive in an environment where there is so much negativity. Or in a situation that brings negative feelings or thoughts.
We cannot eradicate negativity completely, but we can learn how to remain positive amidst negativity.
Let us consider 4 ways on how to remain positive amidst negativity.
- Avoid comparing your life to others
- Make peace with yourself
- Stop being a people pleaser
- Surround yourself with positivity
AVOID COMPARING YOUR LIFE TO OTHERS
Your friend recently posted a wonderful picture of his family that depicts abundant material possessions, another one posted an update that says he/she has gotten a very high paying job, another one posted a picture of his fun-filled vacation in a beautiful and distant land, another one just informed you that he is getting married soon meanwhile, you are still single… and you begin to compare.
Most times, we fail to realize that we are unique and different and we compare our achievements, material possessions, etc to others.
We often compare the worst parts of our lives to the beautiful parts of others.
Isn’t that unfair?
Flowers do not all bloom at the same time even though they are planted at the same time. Same with humans.
Comparing your life to others has negative effects.
- It makes you feel like you are behind in life
- You begin to see yourself as not good enough
- It makes you focus on the beautiful chapters in people’s lives and forget yours.
- It steals the present moment and finally steals your happiness leaving you negative and miserable.
How to break this negative habit
- Be conscious: If you have been in this business for a long time, it may seem difficult to break but it’s not impossible. Try to be aware of when your mind starts the comparison game again, stop yourself and change your thoughts immediately. You can only hold one kind of thought at a time; positive or negative and you can switch them whenever you want. Once you realize this, it becomes easy to replace a negative thought with a positive one.
- Be grateful: We often fail to notice our little steps of progress (achievements) especially when we set huge goals/targets. These little steps of progress are like stepping stones that bring you closer to your goals and when you push these little steps to a corner, you may feel dormant. Be grateful for the little things you have while working towards achieving your goals. This will surely keep you going.
- Realize no one is perfect: Forget the so-called “perfect life” you see on social media or anywhere else. We all have flaws, bad times and ugly chapters in our lives. Forget to try to be a perfectionist, focus on this moment and live joyfully.
MAKE PEACE WITH YOURSELF
Our terrible mistakes, ugly experiences, disappointments and all the sad events we’d love to change at all cost but can’t may be a great burden to us if we keep ruminating over these things. To find inner peace, you need to make peace with yourself by letting go and forgiving yourself of all the terrible mistakes you have made in the past.
Forgiveness is awesome, whether it is forgiving you or someone else. It lets you find peace of mind.
Holding on to your ugly past will only steal your happiness and leave you feeling miserable and sometimes worthless.
STOP BEING A PEOPLE PLEASER
Being a people pleaser means you work so hard to please everyone at the expense of your happiness and as such, your happiness and self-love depend on whether people validate the things you do or not.
You have to realize that not everyone is going to like you no matter how wonderful you are.
SURROUND YOURSELF WITH POSITIVITY
Your associates have a significant impact on your lifestyle. This may not be too obvious to us but that is the reality. To remain positive, you need to steer clear from negativity because it does nothing but drain everything reasonable from you without you realizing this.
“People inspire you or they drain you, pick them wisely” – Hans F Hansen
“Your friends should motivate and inspire you. Your circle should be well-rounded and supportive. Keep it tight, quality over quantity” – Unknown
Thank you for reading!
PS – To read more articles from me, visit positivevoiceblog.com
If you enjoyed this post, please comment, like and share below, Thanks!
Stay PAC Informed
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thanks for subscribing 🙂
Oops - Something went wrong.